Category Archives: Community

HVH Intro to Backpacking Gear List

Intro to Backpacking at Harriman State Park with HVH
Intro to Backpacking at Harriman State Park with HVH

This last weekend I hosted an intro do backpacking workshop with Hudson Valley Hikers. I worked with St Gregory and Kremlin to demonstrate various pieces of equipment each of use for backpacking at different times of year. During the workshop, there were many questions about where to purchase various pieces.  I hope that this list helps those who attended and anyone else reading it make good choices: Continue reading HVH Intro to Backpacking Gear List

Backpacking Buy-In

My post yesterday was in response to a question about the cost of “gearing up” and who my favorite retailers were.  I was unsatisfied with my answer to the first part of the question and wanted to provide a more scientific analysis of market options.  What follows is a result of my combined obsession with both backpacking gear and probability. This should give you a fair estimate for the cost of backpacking buy-in. Continue reading Backpacking Buy-In

Gearing Up

Campmor is a great retailer with an expert staff. They have been operating a paper catalog for as long as I remember and they have one retail store in Paramus, NJ.
A happy camper with a bag full of goodies from Campmor.

Holly asks, “What’s a realistic cost of “gearing up” and who are your favorite retailers?”

Holly will be participating in my upcoming “Intro to Backpacking” seminar at Harriman State Park. I’m Hosting the event with Hudson Valley Hikers.  If you’re interested in the event, please leave a comment below. Continue reading Gearing Up

Essential Backpacking Skills

Checking out my map one last time before we begin.

Ahead of my upcoming “Intro to Backpacking” event, Andre asks about Essential Backpacking Skills:

I have been attending the HVH Beginner Series hikes to get in shape and acquainted with the area and gear, and Mary F. and Timothy from HVH (Hudson Valley Hikers) recommended I sign up for this one. My medium-term goal is to be able to backpack on my own, which leads to my question: What kind of skills do I have to learn to do solo backpacking/camping, and what challenges can I expect as opposed to doing it with a group?

Continue reading Essential Backpacking Skills

Backpacking Stoves

Backpacking Stoves: Snow Peak Isobutene Canister Stove
CampingJay’s standard Cookset

A participant in my upcoming Intro to Backpacking Workshop at Harriman State Park asks about backpacking stoves, “Do you have any suggestions for cooking stoves? I’e gone camping and backpacking a couple of times, but every time I’e taken the easiest non-perishable foods because I don’t know which stove to purchase. Are there some that can be used across most seasons? Which are the best models? Which are the most economical and light weight, yet durable?” Continue reading Backpacking Stoves

Sharing Backpacking Gear

The Tarptent Rainshaddow 2 is a 3 person tent that weighs just 2.5 lbs.
3 Person Tarptent Rain Shaddow

This coming weekend I will host  “Intro to Backpacking” at Harriman State Park with “Hudson Valley Hikers.”   I’ve asked everyone who has signed up to email me a question about backpacking as a pre-requisite to attending the workshop. These questions have made for a nice series of posts. Today we will discuss sharing backpacking gear.

Mark Asks, “Is it ever a good idea to split camping gear between or among two or three people? In other words, if I carry a two or three person tent, would it be wise if someone else carried extra clothing, cooking gear, etc.?” Continue reading Sharing Backpacking Gear

Overnight Food Storage

An American Black Bear at the Bear Mountain Zoo.

There’s only one week to go before my  “Intro to Backpacking” Seminar at Harriman State Park with “Hudson Valley Hikers.”   If you’d like to attend, please sign up soon. Anyone who joins will be put on the waitlist until they email me a backpacking question.  For more information about the event, please write a comment at the bottom of this post.

Today, we will answer Liz’s question about overnight food storage.

Continue reading Overnight Food Storage

Backpack Types

In a few weeks I’m going to be hosting an “Intro to Backpacking” Seminar at Harriman State Park.  I’m hosting this event via the Meetup Group “Hudson Valley Hikers.”   I’ve asked potential attendees to email me questions about backpacking.  Some of them are pretty good and I’ll be sharing the answers via a series of posts called “Ask CampingJay.” This post will discuss backpack types Continue reading Backpack Types

Thruhike Advice

rainwear for hiking and backpacking
Demonstrating Equinox Silnylon Backpacking Poncho

In a few weeks, I’ll be running another one of my very popular Intro to Backpacking seminars at Harriman State Park.  I ran my first seminars at Harriman State Park in November and December of 2015. Among the attendees was a very enthusiastic young lady who now goes by the trail name “Kremlin.”  Kremlin was having a rough time fitting into civilized life and was looking for something more exiting to do. She asked me if I thought she should go on a thruhike, and I said “do it!” She started her hike from Katahdin after 6 months of preparation and finished just around Thanksgiving of 2016. Recently she referred a friend to me to get some thruhike advice of his own. Continue reading Thruhike Advice

Water Treatment

Water Treatment
Platypus Water Bladders

In a few weeks I’m going to be hosting an “Intro to Backpacking” Seminar at Harriman State Park.  I’m hosting this event via the Meetup Group “Hudson Valley Hikers.”  Meetup events tend to get a lot of RSVP’s, but also a lot of No-Shows. In order to vet people out before giving them a spot at the seminar, I’ve asked them to email me questions about backpacking.  Some of them are pretty good and I’ll be sharing the answers via a series of posts called “Ask CampingJay.” This post will discuss Water Treatment Methods. Continue reading Water Treatment